Implement Action
Implement Action

Implement Action

Weapon Specification
Date of Approval October 17th 1874
Weapon Overview

Martini Henry Action Implement: The Martini henry rifle was supplied with its own multi-tool, which was sealed as a pattern on 14th October 1874, just prior to the general issue of the rifles. In the years before General issue, an earlier pattern was manufactured, however, it must not have had the clamp, as the solid bronze axis pin (abolished 1873) did not require a clamp. 5 Action Implements were supplied per packing crate of 20 rifles 15790 were made between 1874 & 1882. The “Implement Action” allowed a comprehensive field strip of the rifle from one tool. It consisted of the following equipment

1) General Purpose screwdriver small: to fit the barrel band screws, sight ladder screws, breech nut locking screw, cocking axis locking screw and trigger screws.

2) General Purpose screwdriver large: to fit locking screws, extractor axis screw and sling swivels

3) Stop Nut Screwdriver: a large flat driver to unscrew the breech block locking nut

4) A Pricker, a small retracting “tooth pick” to winkle out dirt from split pin and other parts of the action

5) A Punch: a drift to remove split pin, bayonet band cross dowel and forend cross dowel (Mk1-2 rifles).

6) A “Clamp” specially designed to compress the breech block split pin allowing it to be inserted into the action

7) A Pivot pin flat: large enough to be used as a small hammer to tap home the split pin.

The 1877 Instructions for Armourers manual clearly defined its uses, “Whenever a party armed with rifles is sent away from ship without an armourer, an implement, a proportion of mainsprings and strikers be always taken and considered in charge of one of the Petty Officers:- Mainsprings 1 for ever 10 rifles, strikers, 1 for every 5 rifles”. In the late 19th Century with the issue of 2nd class and reserve Martini arms to colonial forces, a copy of the ordnance pattern action tool was produced, It's is believed these were made in India at Ishapore or Firozpur and was suplied with the 12,000 Martini Henry rifles between 1894 -1908. To see how these were used, check out my youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrJXvxmU4vY